In this module, participants will learn the basics of using Excel's tools to create and maintain organized and normalized data as well as how to work efficiently with multiple worksheets. This module also introduces pivot tables.
What You Should Already Know
You should have already taken the workshop Excel 2016: The Basics or have the equivalent skills, which include how to:
- understand spreadsheet terminology
- create and modify Excel spreadsheets
- enter text or numeric data
- create formulas and functions
- create named ranges
- format worksheets
What You Will Learn
We will explore more advanced topics in today's workshop, and provide hands-on practice on how to:
- import and clean data
- specify data validation criteria
- use text functions to separate and concatenate text
- protect a worksheet
- use built-in and custom lists
- convert data to a table and work with table features
- sort and filter data
- create a simple PivotTable
- work with multiple worksheets and workbooks
- the use of Microsoft Access 2016
- the exercise files, which will be in the upper right corner of the page if they are required
What You Will Need to Use These Materials
To complete this module successfully, you will need:
- Microsoft Excel 2016
- a text editor (Notepad, Notepad++, TextEdit, TextWrangler,...)
- the exercise files, which will be in the upper right corner of the page if they are required.
If you have computer-related questions not answered in these materials, you may look for the answers in the UITS Knowledge Base.
Want to Learn More?
IT Training offers many training options for extending your skills beyond this workshop:
- Self-study training: You may access computer-based training from leading commercial vendors, obtain the materials for other IT Training workshops, or access IT Training's own tutorials on a range of topics.
- IT Training Tips weblog: Our award-winning blog has short tutorials and training posts on a broad range of topics and technologies that you may read and comment on. It's written by training and support providers from across the entire IU system.